Summer’s here and with it comes the threat of unrelenting insects. You know the signs: tail-flipping, head nodding, and feet stamping are major indicators that your horse is under attack from flies. One of the best ways to protect your horse’s face, and especially their eyes, is a good fly mask. You can offer your horse the best available protection with one of our Top 8 Fly Masks.
With so many different fly masks available these days, it seems impossible to sift through and find the best one. Have no fear, Kim, our very own equine specialist, sympathizes with you. She’s put together a list of her top 8 fly masks for this fly season. The fly masks highlighted in this blog go above and beyond, providing the best protection available for your horse.
Here are the Top 8 Fly Masks for 2018:
1) Jeffers Bug Eye Saver Fly Mask with Ears – Is your horse a Houdini? This mask is designed with lightweight, stretchable material that conforms to the shape of the horse’s head for a snug and comfortable fit. This helps prevent insects from just crawling under the edges. With see-through mesh eye coverings, shaped to keep them far away from the eyes and allow a clear line of sight without irritation, it’s perfect for the sensitive horse who doesn’t like things around their eyes or head. The ears are also protected by a soft mesh material made from 100% nylon. With over 100 reviews on our site and a 4.5-star rating, it’s not difficult to see why this fly mask made Kim’s list two years in a row.
2) Rambo Plus – Touted by Horseware as offering the “ultimate protection,” this mask is ideal for horses who have sensitive eyes or lighter skin and/or may be susceptible to sunburn. The built-in eye guard prevents the mask from rubbing the eye area and allows the mask to keep its shape away from the eyes. The detachable nose cover offers extra “shade” for the horse’s sensitive nose and muzzle, protecting them from the summer’s intense UV rays.
3) Professional’s Choice Breakaway Fly Mask – If you worry as much about your horse catching their mask on something and getting stuck or harming themselves as you do the flies, this mask is the answer. The smooth, breathable mesh and soft fleece lining make for the ultimate in comfort without sacrificing protection. The hook and loop closures coupled with elastic closures at the poll and cheek create the perfect fit, allowing for a “clean getaway” in the event of a snag.
4) Cashel Crusader Fly Masks – This Fly Mask has been labeled the “Original Crusader”, and like so many other things in this world, the original is so much better than anything that follows. The Crusader will keep your horse cool in the summer heat and provide all the fly and UV protection needed. You can feel secure knowing that you are giving your horse a tried-and-true original. The Crusader Fly Masks are available with ears and without ears.
5)Supermask II Without Ears – A longer nose for greater protection! This mask offers the same classic styling mesh and plush trim, but with more coverage. It keeps out biting and nuisance flies, dirt, dust, and debris. This mask also provides UV protection and protects eyes without obstructing vision. The horse-proof closure with an elastic band provides the optimal fit. Each mask comes with a personalizable name tag on the closure for easy identification.
6) Shires Fine Mesh Fly Mask Without Ears – Fine mesh to keep out nuisance flies! The superfine mesh keeps out insects and small bugs effectively. The close-fitting mask features soft, comfortable fleece padding along the seams to avoid gaps and keep the mask away from the eyes. It’s flexible and strong, but fully breathable with adjustable safety fastenings.
7) Shires Fine Mesh Fly Mask with Nose Fringe and Ears – This mask features the same fine mesh to keep out flies plus a full-face veil and air stream fabric on the ears to keep even the smallest insects out. Fleece padding along the seams for comfort also helps to avoid gaps. The fringe at the nose moves with the horse to deter flies from the muzzle area.
8.) Opti-Force Insect Shield Fly Mask Manna Pro Opti-Force Insect Shield Fly Mask- Made in a comfortable design that helps to keep the mask off of your horse’s face. The best part is that the Clear View Vision mesh that this mask is constructed from offers odorless insect repellency. This safe insecticide will not only keep flies away from your horse’s eyes but will also repel them away from the ears and nose!
Other Fly Control Methods to Protect Your Horse
Are you looking for more advice on fly control for your horse? Read Kim’s simple 3-Step Guide to Feed-Thru Fly Control. You can also learn how to use fly sprays like an expert by reading Lauren and Kim’s blog How to Get Rid of Flies with Ease for a step-by-step guide to fly spray success.
It’s that easy!
For more solutions, see Jeffers Equine’s extensive selection of Fly & Insect Control Products.
If you need assistance or have a product you wish for us to carry, feel free to email Kim at email@example.com or call 1-800-533-3377 and ask for Kim.
Last Updated on August 14, 2020 by Rachel Champion