Your horse is turned out in the field and you see him standing there in the hot summer sun, flipping his tail and nodding his head, just trying to find some relief from the annoyance of flies buzzing around all day. If you haven’t done anything to protect your horse from these pesky creatures, the first thing to buy is a quality fly mask. Fly masks come in a variety of materials and sizes, and we have chosen our top 5 picks for this summer!
1) Jeffers Fly Mask without Ears: Classic design, and effective protection, this fly mask is made with white mesh to reflect the sun’s harmful rays and preventing excessive heat, while providing UV protection. Additionally, the extended nose will help to prevent your horse’s nose from sunburning.
2) Rambo® Plus: This mask is ideal for horse’s that have sensitive eyes or lighter skin and susceptible to sunburn. The built in eye guard prevents the mask from rubbing the eye area and allows the mask to keep its shape. The detachable nose cover offers extra shade for the horse, protecting from summer’s intense UV rays.
3) Professional’s Choice BreakAway Fly Mask: If you’re looking for the most comfortable fly mask out there for your horse, this is the one. The smooth, breathable mesh and the soft fleece lining makes for the ultimate in comfort and relaxation. This mask has hook and loop closures along with elastic closures placed at the poll and cheek, which allows you to create the perfect fit.
4) Cashel® Crusader Fly Mask: This mask has been labeled the “Original Crusader,” and like so many things in this world, the original is so much better than anything that follows. This mask will keep your horse cool in the summer heat and provide all the fly and UV protection needed. Feel secure that you are giving your horse a tried-and-true original. This fly mask comes with ears and without.
5) SuperMask II Shimmer Weave: How cute are these masks? Not only is this a super mask, it’s super fashionable and provides super protection. It keeps out annoying flies, dusty debris, and protects the horse’s eyes from UV rays, all without obstructing the horse’s view. The shimmer-weave mesh reflects your horse’s unique color, and there are 4 fabulous color options to choose from. I may just have to find a matching sleeping mask for myself!