Help protect your horse this summer with an effective and fast-acting fly spray. In this post, we are going to go over our top 10 picks for fly sprays and what makes them great. There are a variety of options when it comes to fly sprays, such as ready-to-use spray, premise spray, concentrated formula, wipe-on, pour-on, and the list “goes-on”.
Questions to ask yourself when buying a horse spray:
- What are the ingredients? The ingredients are obviously what will make the fly spray effective. If you are concerned with chemicals or want a natural repellent, look for essential oils in the ingredients.
- How often am I able to apply the spray? If you’re not able to reapply often, go with an oil-based spray, as it will last longer. Most sprays advertise that they will last for up to 14 days, they must have tested horses in air conditioned rooms with zero weather conditions to consider, because in reality, the spray will protect your horse closer to 2 or 3 days, so regular applications are vital. Water-based sprays make reapplication all the more important, as it does not stay on the coat quite as well.
- How many horses do I have to treat? If you’re treating more than a few horses, or if you’re applying regularly, you may prefer an aerosol fly spray, as you simply hold down and let it spray. Traditional spray bottles require constant spraying and often don’t get applied as evenly.
Top 10 Fly Sprays:
1) UltraShield Ex: Flies are generally found in greater numbers during the hotter summer months. Horses turned out in the field during those hot summer days are hot and sweaty, which is why it’s important to find a fly spray that is sweat-resistant like this one. This spray is also weatherproof, and will stay effective through summer rainfalls. Since your horse will be standing out in the sun, they’ve formulated this spray with multiple sunscreens and conditioners, including aloe and lanolin, to keep the coat healthy and happy.
2) Pyranha Fly Sprays: Pyranha has two excellent options for horse fly sprays. Both are ready-to-use, citronella scented, and contain lanolin to condition the coat and leave it with a healthy sheen. The only difference between the two products is that Pyranha’s Wipe N’ Spray (yellow bottle) is an oil-based formula and Pyranha’s Spray & Wipe (blue bottle) is water-based. The benefit of an oil-based spray is that it will stay on better and won’t wash off with the rain. The benefit of a water-based spray is that the coat won’t feel as greasy, and it won’t accumulate debris as much as its counterpart.
3) Pyranha Aerosol: The Pyranha Aerosol spray is easy to apply, as holding down the button will give you a constant and even stream of insecticide treatment. This is especially useful if you have a lot of horses to cover or if you are reapplying often. This spray contains 0.3% Pyrethrins and should be sprayed for about 3 seconds on either side of the horse for effective coverage. It is effective in killing and repelling a number of common flying insects including stable flies, horse flies, face flies, deer flies, and more.
4) Endure Sweat-Resistant Fly Spray: Farnam’s specially developed fly spray for sweaty and wet conditions, this fly spray provides up to 14 days of worry-free fly control. To ensure that this formula can endure the hot and rainy summer months, they’ve formulated this product with RepeLock, which is a special conditioner that binds to the hair shaft and won’t sweat off, giving your horse long-lasting protection.
5) Equi-Spot: Easy to apply and effective fly protection for 14 days, this spot-on treatment is ideal for pastured horses. There are three main defense zones that you need to cover when effectively applying a fly control treatment. The chest, head, and neck are defense zone 1. The sides of your horse’s body are defense zone 2. The legs of your horse are defense zone 3. This product covers the bases and has a very informative video on how to apply.
6) ProZap Fly-Die Ultra Spray: The special formulation of this fly spray grabs on to the hair follicle enabling it to last through the heaviest workouts and rain. This is a great option in Southern regions where the humidity levels are so high and the horses sweat frequently.
7) Pro-Force: Providing rapid knockdown, this water-based non-greasy spray kills and repels for up to 14 days and up to 70 listed species. It works well for ponies, dogs, and as a premise spray as well, so go nuts with it!
8) Repel-X: This ready-to-use, water-based spray effectively repels and kills a number of pests on or around your horse. This spray is formulated with Pyrethrins, Piperonyl Butoxide, and Permethrin. It can also be used as a premise spray or a wipe-on.
9) UltraShield Green: If you are looking for a more natural approach, UltraShield Green is the spray for the job. This eco-safe formula effectively repels biting flies, mosquitoes and gnats.
10) B-Free of Flies: Made with natural pyrethrins, B-Free is highly effective when used as a spray or wipe-on. Only 1 to 2 ounces will keep your horse protected all day. With the addition of coat conditioners, B-Free also makes a great grooming product.
For more solutions, see Jeffers Equine’s extensive selection of Fly & Insect Control Sprays & Topical Products.
If you need assistance or have a product you wish for us to carry, feel free to email Kim, email@example.com or call 1-800-533-3377 and ask for Kim.
This blog was updated on July 26th, 2018.