Winter Dog Coats and Dog Blankets have a lot of different terms used to describe them. Even as a buyer of dog clothing I was initially overwhelmed with what all the different terms really mean when it comes to keeping my dog warm. So here’s your cheat sheet on how to pick the warmest winter dog coat.
Denier refers to the tightness of the thread in the material. Normally the higher the count, the more resistant it is to tears. Denier has nothing to do with how heavy your dog’s coat or blanket actually is. A higher denier will normally withstand a lot more romping and stomping, and your dog’s winter coat should last a few more seasons.
Gram fill is the next term seen in a dog’s winter coat. Most are a poly-fiber fill. The higher the gram count the warmer your dog’s winter coat will be.
Rip-Stop refers to a type of sewing with thicker thread. It will not prevent a rip, but keep it from ripping any worse.
Next are add-ons. A reflective band is nice for evening walks. Most are secured by a velcro belly band, or hardware that you loop the band through. I prefer the velcro because it is easier for me to fasten if my dog is being wiggly. I also like the thicker velcro, but that is just my preference.
Comparing Jeffers Winter Dog Coats
Warmest Winter Dog Coat to Coolest… according to Ruth 🙂
1. The Solaris Dog Coat is the warmest winter dog coat Jeffers carries. It has 240 gram fill insulation, and is made from the same 12 denier rip-stop material the Jeffers horse blankets are made from. It ranges in size from 12″-32″.
The Solaris dog coat retails for $19.99
2. The John Deere Dog Coat has 250 grams of insulation and is made from a 600 denier rip-stop shell. ranges in size from 14″-26″.
The John Deere winter dog coat sells for $24.99
3. The Jeffers Winter Dog Coats are my favorite dog coats. They are the best value for the dollar anywhere. Dog coats of this quality and The Solaris frequently retail for over $40.
Jeffers dog coats are designed by Kimberly Cahill, who also designs the Jeffers equine blankets, and are made from the same material as her blanket line. They feature 600 denier, and 240 gram fill insulation. These coats are warm, fun, made out of extremely good material, and range in size from 12″-32″
The Jeffers winter Dog Coats retail for $19.99
4. The Jeffers Breathe-Comfort Rip-Stop poly dog coat has a 600 denier rip-stop shell with a 200 gm poly-fiber fill insulation. They are available in 6 different beautiful colors. Sizes ranges from 8″ to 30″.
The Jeffers Breathe-Comfort Rip-Stop dog blanket ranges in price from $8.99- 20.99
5. The Professional’s Choice Dog Jacket has a warm fleece lining, and is made from a wind-proof, water resistant fabric. Sizes range from 14″-26″.
The Professional’s Choice Dog Jacket retails for $24.99
Last Updated on January 14, 2021 by Rachel Champion