Kim & Caitlin’s Picks: Top 7 Fly Masks for 2017
It’s that time again. Fly season is upon us and your horse is miserable trying to keep the flies from terrorizing him or her. You know the signs, tail flipping, head nodding, feet stamping. One of the best ways to protect your horse’s face, and especially his eyes, is a good fly mask.
So Many Choices:
There are so many different fly masks available these days, it sometimes seems impossible to sift through and find the best one. Have no fear. Kim, our very own equine specialist sympathizes with you. She and Caitlin have put together a list of their top 7 fly masks for this fly season.
Here Are Their Picks:
1) Jeffers Bug Eye Saver Fly Mask with Ears – Is your horse a Houdini? This mask is designed with lightweight, stretchable material that conforms to the shape of the horse’s head for a snug and comfortable fit. This helps prevent insects from just crawling under the edges. With see-through mesh eye coverings, shaped to keep them far away from the eyes and allow a clear line of sight without irritation, it’s perfect for the sensitive horse that doesn’t like things around his eyes or head. The ears are also protected by a soft mesh material made from 100% nylon. Read the reviews on our site here.
2) Rambo Plus – This mask is ideal for horses that have sensitive eyes or lighter skin and/or may be susceptible to sunburn. The built-in eye guard prevents the mask from rubbing the eye area and allows the mask to keep its shape (away from the eyes). The detachable nose cover offers extra “shade” for the horse’s sensitive nose and muzzle, protecting it from the summer’s intense UV rays.
3) Professional’s Choice Breakaway Fly Mask – If you worry as much about your horse catching his mask on something and getting stuck or harming himself as you do the flies, this mask is the answer. The smooth breathable mesh and soft fleece lining make for the ultimate in comfort without sacrificing protection. The hook and loop closures coupled with elastic closures at the poll and cheek create the perfect fit, while allowing for a “clean getaway” in the event of a snag.
4) Cashel Crusader Fly Masks – This Fly Mask has been labeled the “Original Crusader”, and like so many other things in this world, the original is so much better than anything that follows. The Crusader will keep your horse cool in the summer heat and provide all the fly and UV protection needed. You can feel secure knowing that you are giving your horse a tried-and-true original. The Crusader Fly Masks are available with ears and without.
5) NEW Supermask II w/o ears – Now with a longer nose for greater protection! Same classic styling mesh and plush trim, but with more coverage. Keeps out biting and nuisance flies, dirt, dust, and debris. Provides UV protection and protects eyes without obstructing vision. Horse-proof” closure with elastic band to provide optimal fit. Personalized horse name tag on closure for easy identification.
6) Shires Fine Mesh Fly Mask w/o Ears – Fine mesh to keep out nuisance flies! The superfine mesh keeps out insects and small bugs effectively. The close fitting mask features soft, comfortable fleece padding along the seams to avoid gaps and keep the mask away from the eyes. Flexible and strong, but fully breathable with adjustable safety fastenings.
7) Shires Fine Mesh Fly Mask with Nose Fringe & Ears – Same fine mesh to keep out flies plus a full face veil and air stream fabric on the ears keeps even the smallest insects out. Fleece padding along the seams for comfort also helps to avoid gaps. The fringe at the nose moves with the horse to deter flies from the muzzle area.
More Ways to Fight the Flies:
Read the Top 10 Fly Sprays for Horses here.
For more solutions, see Jeffers Equine’s extensive selection of Fly & Insect Control Products.
If you need assistance or have a product you wish for us to carry, feel free to email Kim, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-533-3377 and ask for Kim.
Last Updated on July 6, 2017 by Ron W Hamilton