Why is dog dental care important? Did you know that 80% of dogs show symptoms of an oral disease? Did you know that veterinarians feel that oral disease is the number one health problem diagnosed in dogs? Although dogs rarely get cavities, they are prone to developing dental problems such as gum disease, and excessive tartar build-up on their teeth. If problems continue to go unnoticed it can worsen and lead to periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an inflammation of some, or all of a tooth’s deep supporting structure. Such infections may lead to loose teeth, painful abscesses, bone loss, or infection.
In celebration of Pet Dental Health Month, Jeffers would like to highlight some of our favorite dog dental care products to assist in maintaining adequate dog dental health. Developing a first-line-of-defense to combat dental problems as well as frequent examinations will help keep your pets’ teeth clean and their gums healthy. Below are a few tips and dog dental care products to keep your dog’s teeth clean.
Brush Your Dog’s Teeth
Regularly brushing your dog’s teeth can remove plaque that develops along your dog’s gum line is the first line of defense to combat dog dental problems. Brush your dog’s teeth at least three times a week with dog dental care products specific to dogs.
See 5 of our favorites here:
- DDS Canine Toothpaste: Features tartar control and freshens breath while maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
- Oratene Brushless Oral Care Toothpaste Gel: Helps dissolve plaque biofilm and inhibits bacteria that cause bad breath through the use of a natural multi-complex enzyme. Also alleviates bad breath associated with cancer, diabetes, anxiety, medication and old age.
- DentaMed Toothpaste: Promotes healthy teeth and gums with no rinsing needed. Safely and effectively prevents plaque and tartar build-up.
- DentaMed Dual-End Toothbrush: Designed with two head sizes, soft-bristles, angled heads and long handle for an extra reach.
- Sentry Toothbrush Glove: Disposable and latex free gloves for dogs and cats with fingertip scrubber pads which allow for gentle and easy-to-use cleaning of your pet’s teeth.
(NOTE: Do not use toothpaste made for humans as its foaming action is unpleasant for dogs due to the inability to spit and rinse after use).
Use Dog Dental Tools
The second line of defense for maintaining your dog’s dental care regime is removing and reducing tartar build up. When plaque is not removed, tartar begins to form on the teeth encouraging additional bacterial growth. The encouragement of bacterial growth may result in loosened teeth, painful abscesses, bone loss, or infection. Dog dental tools, sprays, and water additives may help discourage tartar and plaque build up.
Check out these 5 products that can help:
- Double End Tooth Scrapers: Made with stainless steel and removes tartar build-up for better dog dental health.
- Davis DentaMed Spray: Easy spray on application with no rinse formula kills bacteria, reduces plaque, and freshens breath with a cool mint flavor.
- Plaque Off: Water additive used to remove plaque, tartar and freshen breath by adding a capful to your pet’s water.
- Nylabone Oral Care Foaming Tartar Remover: Made with denta-C which is scientifically proven to reduce plaque that harbors bacteria.
- Bluestem Oral Care Additive: Assists in fighting plaque and tartar as well as freshening breath in dogs and cats.
Give Daily Dog Dental Chews & Treats
The last line of defense in dog dental care products are dog dental chews and treats. Chewing is natural for dogs and helps to keep teeth clean and strong. Dog dental chews encourage natural chewing behaviors and control plaque, tartar build-up, and help freshen breath.
Choose from these chews or browse our entire selection.
- SmartBones Dental Chews: Healthy rawhide-alternative dental chew. Highly digestible and made with veggies, chicken, chlorophyll, kelp and parsley seed.
- Nylabone Dental Chew Bones: Designed with rounded dental nubs and raised bristles to help clean teeth.
- Nylabone Double Action Chews: Bacon-flavored with a soft EZ carry Minty fresh center and durable ends.
- KaNoodles: A uniquely shaped dental chew treat for daily use made from wholesome grains, zinc, and Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dingo Dental Sticks: An easily digested dental chew treat made with real chicken breast and natural rawhide.
- Carolina Prime Dental Jerky: Wheat free and made with real jerky for dogs of all sizes. Made in the USA!
Dog dental care products such as those mentioned above, plus regularly scheduled visits for cleaning, and if necessary, scaling is the best prevention against dog dental problems. Remember that keeping your pets’ teeth clean and their gums healthy is important for more than just pleasant breath.
The information given is meant to be helpful and/or education. It is, in no way intended to supersede, challenge or supplant the diagnosis, treatment or advice of a licensed veterinarian.
Like this blog post? Read Top 3 Dog Dental Health Tips from Renee.