Why is dog dental care important? Did you know that 80% of dogs show symptoms of oral disease? Did you know that veterinarians feel that oral disease is the number one health problem diagnosed in dogs? Although dogs rarely get cavities, they are prone to developing dental problems such as gum disease, and excessive tartar build-up on their teeth. If problems continue to go unnoticed it can worsen and lead to periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an inflammation of some or all of a tooth’s deep supporting structure. Such infections may lead to loose teeth, painful abscesses, bone loss, or infection.
In recognition of Pet Dental Health Month, Jeffers would like to highlight some of our favorite dog dental care products to assist in maintaining adequate dog dental health. Developing a first-line-of-defense to combat dental problems as well as frequent examinations will help keep your pets’ teeth clean and their gums healthy. Below are a few tips and dog dental care products to keep your dog’s teeth clean.
Brush Your Dog’s Teeth
Most dogs take some time getting used to someone poking around in their mouth. Ideally, introduce dental care when your dog is still a puppy, but it’s never too late! Just take a slow, patient approach. Remember that treats and love go a long way in winning over an apprehensive pet.
Regularly brushing your dog’s teeth can remove plaque that develops along your dog’s gum line is the first line of defense to combat dog dental problems. Brush your dog’s teeth at least three times a week with dog dental care products specific to dogs.
See 5 of our favorites here:
- Nutri-Vet Enzymatic Canine Toothpaste: A non-foaming, great-tasting paste formulated specifically for dogs. Regular use can help prevent the build-up of tartar.
- Oratene Brushless Oral Care Toothpaste Gel: Helps dissolve plaque biofilm and inhibits bacteria that cause bad breath through the use of a natural multi-complex enzyme. Also alleviates bad breath associated with cancer, diabetes, anxiety, medication and old age.
- Triple Pet EZ Pet Toothpaste: An all-natural, sugar-free tartar control formula designed to keep your dog’s mouth and teeth clean. Non-foaming, non-rinse vanilla-flavored formula.
- Nutri-Vet Dental Hygiene Kit for Dogs: A convenient way to maintain healthy gums and teeth in dogs of all ages. Includes everything you’ll need to get started brushing your dog’s teeth.
- EcoBath Pet Tooth Gel and Fingerbrush Kit: Known for its natural healing properties, this Manuka honey-based tooth gel can help with healing and soothing gums, rebuilding enamel, freshening breath and hardening teeth.
(NOTE: Do not use toothpaste made for humans as its foaming action is unpleasant for dogs due to the inability to spit and rinse after use).
Use Dog Dental Tools
The second line of defense for maintaining your dog’s dental care regime is removing and reducing tartar build up. When plaque is not removed, tartar begins to form on the teeth encouraging additional bacterial growth. The encouragement of bacterial growth may result in loosened teeth, painful abscesses, bone loss, or infection. Dog dental tools, sprays, and water additives may help discourage tartar and plaque build up.
Check out these 5 products that can help:
- Double End Tooth Scrapers: Made with stainless steel and removes tartar build-up for better dog dental health.
- Davis DentaMed Spray: Easy spray on application with no rinse formula kills bacteria, reduces plaque, and freshens breath with a cool mint flavor.
- Plaque Off: Water additive used to remove plaque, tartar and freshen breath by adding a capful to your pet’s water.
- Nylabone Oral Care Foaming Tartar Remover: Made with denta-C which is scientifically proven to reduce plaque that harbors bacteria.
- V.P.S. Oral Rinse: An anti-microbial, anti-plaque, and anti-calculus formula that aids in the prevention of tooth and gum disease.
Give Daily Dog Dental Chews & Treats
The last line of defense in dog dental care products are dog dental chews and treats. Chewing is natural for dogs and helps to keep teeth clean and strong. Dog dental chews encourage natural chewing behaviors and control plaque, tartar build-up, and help freshen breath.
Choose from these chews or browse our entire selection.
- Loving Pets’ Ora-Bone: A unique, patent-pending design and 3 breath-freshening ingredients make this a great treat for maintaining your dog’s dental health.
- SmartBones Dental Treats: A healthy, rawhide-alternative dental chew. Highly digestible and made with veggies, chicken, chlorophyll, kelp and parsley seed.
- Nylabone Dental Chew Bones: Designed with rounded dental nubs and raised bristles to help clean teeth.
- Nylabone Double Action Chews: Bacon-flavored with a soft EZ carry Minty fresh center and durable ends.
- Kanoodles: A uniquely shaped dental chew treat for daily use made from wholesome grains, zinc, and Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Davis DentaMED Chews: A chew intended for adult dogs only that helps reduce tartar and plaque.
- Nylabone Dental Dinos: Designed to withstand excessive chewing, these dinosaurs feature nubs to help remove tartar and plaque from your dog’s teeth.
Dog dental care products such as those mentioned above, plus regularly scheduled visits for cleaning, and if necessary, scaling is the best prevention against dog dental problems. Remember that keeping your pets’ teeth clean and their gums healthy is important for more than just pleasant breath.
The information given is meant to be helpful and/or education. It is, in no way intended to supersede, challenge or supplant the diagnosis, treatment or advice of a licensed veterinarian.
Like this blog post? Read Top 3 Dog Dental Health Tips from Renee.