Why is dog dental care important? Did you know that 80% of dogs show symptoms of oral disease? In fact, veterinarians feel that oral disease is the number one health problem diagnosed in dogs. Although dogs rarely get cavities, they are prone to developing dental problems such as gum disease and excessive tartar build-up on their teeth.
If problems continue to go unnoticed, they can worsen and lead to periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an inflammation of some or all of a tooth’s deep supporting structure. Such infections may lead to loose teeth, painful abscesses, bone loss, or infection.
In honor of Pet Dental Health Month, Jeffers would like to highlight a few of our favorite dog dental care products. We will also provide tips to help with maintaining your dog’s dental health. Developing a first line of defense to combat dental problems, along with frequent examinations, will help keep your dog’s teeth clean and gums healthy.
Continue reading for a few tips and products to maintain your dog’s dental health.
Brush Your Dog’s Teeth
Most dogs take some time getting used to someone poking around inside their mouth. Ideally, you should introduce dental care when your dog is still a puppy, but it’s never too late! Just take a slow, patient approach. Remember that treats and love go a long way in winning over a cautious pet.
Regularly brushing your dog’s teeth can remove plaque that develops along their gum line. It is also the first line of defense to combat dog dental problems. Brush your dog’s teeth at least three times a week with dog dental care products made for dogs.
Five of our favorite toothpastes and brush free products for dogs include:
- Nutri-Vet Enzymatic Canine Toothpaste: A non-foaming, great-tasting toothpaste formulated specifically for dogs. Regular use can help prevent the build-up of tartar.
- Oratene Brushless Oral Care Toothpaste Gel: Helps dissolve plaque biofilm and inhibits bacteria that cause bad breath through the use of a natural multi-complex enzyme. It also reduces bad breath associated with cancer, diabetes, anxiety, medication, and old age.
- DentaMed Toothpaste: A beef-flavored toothpaste that helps prevent tartar and plaque build-up. No rinsing needed, and it helps freshen breath and whiten teeth.
- Nutri-Vet Dental Hygiene Kit for Dogs: This kit is a convenient way to maintain healthy gums and teeth in dogs of all ages. It includes everything you’ll need to start brushing your dog’s teeth.
- Vetality Brush Free Dental Kit for Dogs: This once-a-week brush free gel helps reduce plaque and tartar build-up. It also freshens breath while whitening and brightening teeth. This kit comes with dental treats you can apply the gel to for a brushless experience your dog will enjoy.
Use Toothbrushes Designed for Dogs
Don’t forget to make sure your dog has a fresh and clean toothbrush! DentaMed Dual-End Toothbrush for Dogs & Cats have angled heads, soft bristles, and a slim design. They are specifically designed for dogs and cats. Finger Toothbrush Gloves are a great option for dogs that are not a fan of toothbrushes. Disposable and convenient, these clear gloves have scrubber pads on the ends of the fingertips for gentle yet effective cleaning.
(NOTE: Do not use toothpaste made for humans. Its foaming action is unpleasant for dogs due to the inability to spit and rinse after use).
Use Dog Dental Tools
The second line of defense for maintaining your dog’s dental care regimen is removing and reducing tartar build-up. When plaque is not removed, tartar begins to form on the teeth. This encourages additional bacterial growth. Bacteria growth may result in loosened teeth, painful abscesses, bone loss, or infection. Dog dental tools, sprays, and water additives may help reduce tartar and plaque build-up.
Check out these five dog dental tool products that can help:
- Double End Tooth Scrapers: These scrapers are stainless steel and remove tartar build-up for better dog dental health.
- Davis DentaMed Spray: An easy spray-on application with a no-rinse formula that kills bacteria and reduces plaque. Plus, it freshens breath and has a cool mint flavor.
- Oratene Brushless Breath Freshener: A daily spray that freshens breath, kills bacteria and removes plaque. It’s great for dogs who suffer from dry mouth.
- Nylabone Oral Care Foaming Tartar Remover: This foaming tartar remover contains Denta-C, which is scientifically proven to reduce plaque that harbors bacteria.
- V.P.S. Oral Rinse: This rinse has an antimicrobial, anti-plaque, and anti-calculus formula that aids in preventing tooth and gum disease.
Give Daily Dog Dental Chews and Treats
The last line of defense in dog dental care products are dog dental chews and treats. Chewing is natural for dogs and helps to keep teeth clean and strong. Dog dental chews encourage natural chewing behaviors. They also help control plaque, tartar build-up and help freshen breath.
Choose from these chews or browse our entire selection of dog dental care chews and treats.
- Loving Pets’ Ora-Bone: A unique, patent-pending design and three breath-freshening ingredients make this a great treat for maintaining your dog’s dental health.
- Nylabone Dental Chew Bones: Designed with rounded dental nubs and raised bristles to help clean teeth. Plus, it massages your dog’s gums and helps reduce plaque and tartar build-up.
- SmartBones Dental Treats: These treats are a healthy, rawhide-alternative dental chew. Highly digestible and made with veggies, chicken, chlorophyll, kelp, and parsley seed.
- Nylabone Double Action Chew: This bacon-flavored chew has a soft EZ carry minty fresh center and durable ends. Not only is this chew toy great for your dog’s dental health, but it also helps satisfy their urge to chew.
- Nylabone Dental Dinos: Designed to withstand excessive chewing, these dinosaurs feature nubs to help remove tartar and plaque from your dog’s teeth.
Dog dental care products, plus regular visits for cleaning, and if necessary, scaling, is the best way to prevent dog dental problems. Remember that keeping your pets’ teeth clean and their gums healthy is important for more than just fresh breath.
Looking for more options? Check out Jeffers’ full line of dog dental care products.
Like this blog post? Check out Top 3 Dog Dental Health Tips from Renee.
The information given here is meant to be helpful and/or educational. It is, in no way intended to supersede, challenge, or supplant the diagnosis, treatment, or advice of a licensed veterinarian.
Last Updated on February 8, 2021 by Rachel Champion